Thursday, October 15, 2009

It's Like Pasta Fagioli!!

So I tried a new recipe the other night- a quick cannellini bean & vegetable soup. It is delicious (even Johnny Poo thought so....and he's not a fan of veggies!). It ended up being pretty much like a Pasta Fagioli but since I'm German, Polish & Irish...I'm giving it a new name. Here is the recipe if you are interested...

Nein Dolink O' Pasta Fagioli




Serves 6-8

3 15-oz cans cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
6 cups chicken stock
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
4 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup grated parmesan cheese

*Place beans, stock, and garlic in a large pot on the stove. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

*Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. When the skillet is warm, add the olive oil and saute the onion and celery for 5 to 6 minutes until soft and translucent. Next, add the tomatoes and salt and continue to cook another 3 to 4 minutes.

*Add the vegetable mixture and parsley to beans/stock. Cook another 15 minutes or so to meld flavors together. Serve with parmesan cheese.

Note: I also added diced mushrooms since I had them in the house- I bet zucchini or squash would be delicious in this soup too.

I'm a terrible cook BUT I must say I do have a few specialties that I can pull out of my hat like..... my mac n cheese, chili, meatloat, chicken noodle soup, and caesar salad. This recipe will be added to that list for sure.

No comments: